The YMCA is excited to be working in partnership with Torquay Coast Primary School to offer children’s programs and maximise community engagement across our school facilities. YMCA run Before / After School and Holiday Programs from our school Community Hub. All bookings are made direct with YMCA. Click here to access their booking page.
Torquay Coast Primary School is gradually becoming sustainable from the ground up. Our school has a 5-year partnership with CERES Environment Park to help us become an environmentally sustainable school. We are currently in the process of embedding sustainability in everything we do. We are also aiming to achieve 5Star recognition in the Resource Smart Schools program in our first five years of operation. Currently we have three stars (Core, Waste and Water) and are busy working on our fourth star in Biodiversity. This will help us to engage students in our local environment and involve families and other members of our school and local community.
ResourceSmart Schools is an award-winning Victorian Government program that assists schools to embed sustainability in everything they do. Schools minimise waste, save energy and water, promote biodiversity and take action on climate change to benefit their school and community.
Managed by Sustainability Victoria, ResourceSmart Schools provides practical support to reduce resource use and make cost savings, integrate sustainability into the curriculum and share learnings beyond the school gate. Key features of ResourceSmart Schools:
- Support – Sustainability experts support the school on their sustainability journey and schools track and measure their progress using the online system
- Recognition – Sustainability Certification and the ResourceSmart Schools Awards recognise and reward school activity
- Savings – Save on energy, water and waste bills – and greenhouse gas emissions
- Adaptable – Schools create a unique environmental management system and can work with any sustainability program or organisation within the ResourceSmart Schools framework
- Learning – Students learn take-home lessons about sustainable actions as required by the Australian Curriculum
- Sustainable schools – Schools learn to operate more sustainably, reducing costs and minimising their impact on the environment through efficient resource use
- Community – Practical support for schools and communities to live and work more sustainably and to support other schools and environmental partners along the way.
Visit www.resourcesmartschools.vic.gov.au to find out more about this fantastic initiative!